A Picture Of Nectar

Life two months before our baby is born. Life on the road with our new baby.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right




Here are pictures of Lexi and Lizzie. Lexi was 2 1/2 there and is 4 1/2 now. Lizzie was 5 and is 7 now. Lexi is the one with the corn. I think that picture epitomizes summer, unless you don't have kids and then maybe you would want something more beach or water-themed. It has been really hot here this week and I do not like hot weather. I prefer it to stay under 70 degrees. In Louisville, the summers get really hot and humid. It is too early to be sweating already. It makes for a long summer. I remember the hottest that I have ever been. It was at the Grateful Dead in Alpine Valley 1988. Wisconsin had one of its longest droughts in history and had record heat. We were sleeping in tents back then and it was almost 120 degrees in the tent. The temperature was insane. Sleeping was almost impossible. By the time I got to sleep, people were up and moving around. It was unbearable. The shows were good, although they played a lot of new stuff then, including one of my newer favorites, "Foolish Heart." Back then, shows were still fun and people were not selling things like ice-cold garbage bags and napkins. You were treated like family and if thirsty, someone would give you a cold one. Today, people are selling their ticket stubs from the night before. The scene has changed a lot.

I am not really ragging on things today, but just noticing the difference. I remember when shows were all general admission and people did not fight or save an entire section for their friends. It was way calmer. At Hampton, in 1985 and 1986, they used to play volleyball on the floor before shows. People looked out for each other and the recreationals were real. The hustlers were not paid much attention. The Dead, for all intents and purposes, were really done before I started getting into their music. I had a short introduction to them at summer camp in 1978, but didn't start seeing them until 1985. Jerry was way into H and the band suffered from it. Shows were predictable and rarely did the band take a lot of risks.

I remember my introduction to Phish clearly. A couple of my friends who went to UVA gave me a board from 11.15.91, Trax, in Charlottesville. I remember listening to it a lot, especially the "Mike's Song > Hydrogen > Weekapaug." I really liked it and began seeing the band whenever I could. All in all, I saw them about 25 times in 92-93. I also remember clearly making the decision that I could not like both bands because one occupied enough of my time and also because I was not really sure about the new Phishheads. The band's music was kind of weird and I didn't really get the jokes or the humor. I was never much into Monty Python and they had a sort of humor like that. My friends and I used to talk about how it was either the Dead or Phish, but not both. I sided with the Dead. I don't know why, but I thought it was a sound decision. I loved more Dead songs than I did Phish songs. Thinking back over it reminds me of a joke I once heard. How many Deadheads does it take to change a light bulb? A million, but they just follow it around, waiting for it to burn out.

Burn out is what the Dead did. They still had their moments, but had way too many go to songs and lazy moments. They did not challenge themselves and made excuses for it. So when I decided at Deer Creek 1992 that I had had enough, I quit going. To read about the destruction of the scene and the gate-jumpers really made me sick. Once America finds out about something good, it destroys it. Good things are rarely a secret. Okay, so you probably want to know why I am so optimistic about Phish and why I am using the same approach with them that burned me out on the Dead and on Dave Matthews Band. It is valid to assume that I will get sick of Phish, too. But, this is where things differ. Both the Dead and DMB stopped playing the songs that people want to hear. It was a rarity to hear "St. Stephen" and the band stopped playing "Lost Sailor" in 1986. They folded up most of their psychedelic music and traded it in for a more relaxed groove. Granted, there were moments of sublime jamming. Same with DMB. They totally stopped playing songs that made them famous. In the end, it sucked and still does. I would not see DMB if someone bought me a ticket.

Phish, on the other hand, plays the songs that people want to hear. Take Hampton, for example. When the band broke into the first few notes of "Fluffhead," it ended the drought of the song during Phish 2.0. The band brought back old songs, such as "Curtis Lowe." The band mixed that with new songs, most of which were decent. But for the most part, the band plays songs that people want to hear, such as those from "Lawn Boy" and "A Picture of Nectar" and older tunes. They are not afraid to take musical risks and practice to hone their musical skills. They care about how they sound and it shows. They mix things up most of the time. It is hard to predict what song is going to open the first set or what the encores might be. Of course, there are those of you who have seen them 300 or 400 times and might have a better idea than me. You are probably skeptical and pessimistic toward the band. You dislike some of their stuff. Granted, I am not a fan of "Ocelot." But, even then, you can't compare them to the Dead. I am not saying that I made a mistake by choosing the Dead. Not at all. I have almost every show that is available in SHN/FLAC of the Dead's. But I don't listen to them nearly as much. I have memorized certain jams and they feel old to me, sort of like my college fraternity brothers or playing beer pong. It is just not as much fun for me.

I hope that I don't get burned on "Punch" or "The Lizards" because then I may not have anything left to listen to. I guess that I could try The Disco Biscuits, but I think I have a lot left in me. I am always amazed at Phish's shows. There is typically at least a few songs that create magic and I have a lot of shows to listen to. That is the great thing about it. Things seem fresh and new to me. It is "an obsession but it's pleasin'." I like meeting new people and there are lots of people my age at shows and I have no problem talking to younger folks either. I cannot really believe that after I completely turned my back on Phish that here I am getting ready to take my newborn son and my wife to a bunch of shows and traveling the old-fashioned way--driving it. Although we are staying in hotels, maybe I won't shave every day or refuse to brush my teeth one night, just for old time's sake. I still haven't gotten completely obsessed, like I don't study Trey's equipment or know who his high school girlfriend was. He and my step brother went to TAFT together, around the same time. That is enough about the Dead and Phish for now.

Today, my wife is having a lot of contractions and pain. I am so helpless and don't know what to do for her. It is hard, because she is clearly in pain and uncomfortable, but doesn't need anything from me. I am here for her, though. I hope that she carries Eli to term and he doesn't come early. I want things to go just perfectly, and so far so good. We are going to have the baby, and then move before we hit the road. Our stuff will probably still be in boxes when we get back, but I will make sure to have broadband and cable before we leave. Essentials. That, and AC. It will be really hot by the time we get back. I tend to freeze the family out. They walk around in sweats during the summer. I can't take any more clothes off. I just get so hot. Anyway, I just hope that my wife starts feeling better soon. It is scary to think that she is carrying our baby in her womb and in like six weeks, we will have a son. I have been playing "The Clifford Ball" video (on my iPod) to him lately, because I know that he can hear it. He even kicks back at some songs more than others. I wonder if it is distracting and noisy or if he likes it. He responds to my touch and to my voice whenever I touch Eliz's stomach or talk to him.

In the next couple of weeks, I am going to put together a mix of 70 songs or something as go to playlist for the road. That should be a lot of fun. One last thing. I want to shout out to Kenny over at Ghetto-Fab Remasters, www.phishauds.com. He really gave me some good suggestions on how to get more readers and improve my audience. I appreciate the time he took to respond to me. I am hoping that I can get Mr. Miner to help me out a litle with his thoughts. His site is great-www.phishthoughts.com. I always enjoy his thoughtful prospective on Phish. Hope that all of you are having a great Friday night and have a great weekend. Remember that the NFL draft starts on April 22-24. I will for sure watch the first two rounds. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment