A Picture Of Nectar

Life two months before our baby is born. Life on the road with our new baby.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Today, we went to see our midwife and get another ultrasound. Eliz is 33 months and 4 days pregnant and our midwife told us that our baby Eli is really healthy, weighing about 5 lbs. 7 ounces and is doing well. They showed us how much his penis has grown. That was wild. I don't think that people realize how much of a miracle it is to have a baby, much less a healthy one. I know that before my wife got pregnant with my child, I really took it all for granted. I don't at all now. I feel so lucky to have a healthy child and can only hope that there are no genetic defects or birth defects that we don't know about. Many people are able to raise children with extreme defects, but I am not sure if I could do that. Do you think it is selfish to wish for a perfect baby? I don't think so. I cannot really believe that I am going to have a son in six weeks. It is so life-changing already and I haven't even begun.

Just a few years ago, I was in law school and completely immersed in it. I was Editor in Chief of the Law Review, had just gotten published, and was not thinking about whether to use cloth or disposable diapers or whether my wife was going to breastfeed or we were going to use formula. Things have changed so much in the last few years. I had no idea that I was going to get married, have an instant family, get my wife pregnant, buy a house while she is due.

One thing that Trey talked about regarding Hampton was that there was no longer the backstage scene--it was just family and that felt good. The band members had changed and the music allowed them to still connect and communicate. I know what he means. Children change you. Sometimes you can still get too deep into it that nothing will stop you, but when you step back and see all that you are destroying, it can be life-changing. I had already changed my life before I met Eliz, but there were many dark years where I had nothing to live for besides doing it one more day. People say that the Grateful Dead was all about drugs. I went to lots of shows completely straight. People say that Phish is all about drugs. But the band doesn't feel that way. I am not saying anything about my lifestyle, just that looking at my son on that monitor today felt unlike nothing I have felt before. Thanks for reading. Think I should post a picture of the ultrasound? I told Eliz she couldn't put it on Facebook, but a blog is different, more private and personal. Maybe I'll post one tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. speak of the devil - looks like you got featured on YEMBlog too! In case you hadn't already seen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you "told" your wife she couldn't post her ultrasound on Facebook definitely don't be posting in this thing -- this is WAY LESS private and personal than her FB account. Kenny Powers is right: this is on YEMblog and viewable by everyone, not just your wife's 256 FB friends.

    Other than the last bit about "telling your wife what she couldn't do" this was a thoughtful and heartfelt blog post.

    I'm happy for your growth, perspective, and grateful feelings, but my man: you've still got some wisening up to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Seth...I am his wife. Let me tell you while I dig the defense, it's not so much that he doesn't want pics on FB for everyone else to see as much as he wants pics on HIS site because he is a little possessive over anything related to Eli even at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete